Monday, July 20, 2009

Ballatrina's Books - Finger Lickin' Fifteen

It was a lovely sunny weekend this weekend, so what better to do that sit in the sun and read! I brought this book last week (I found it for $30 in a store next door to where they were selling it for $45! Bargain!) and decided that I couldn't wait any longer to crack the binding.

Finger Lickin' Fifteen - A Stephanie Plum novel
Author: Janet Evanovich
Started: 18-Jul-09
Finished: 18-Jul-09

As you can see, I got through it in one afternoon. That's how much I love the Stephanie Plum series! If you haven't read one of these books before, a little information: firstly, I would rate it M (mature) because of some of the language and, ahem, sexual references. But if you can take that in your stride and love some good humor, these books are very funny! The story is about Stephanie Plum, who works as a bounty hunter for her cousin, but she isn't all that great at it. She lives in an apartment, but often goes home to her parent's house for the free food. Its a very easy and light-hearted read, but it helps if you know a little about the characters first, so I would suggest starting with one of the earlier books. The first one I found was book 5, then I went back and started from number 1 because I enjoyed it so much!

In this book, Stephanie's sidekick Lula comes into the bond office after seeing a famous TV chef decapitated, and the guys who did it are coming after her. Lula decides the best place to corner them (to claim the reward of course) is to enter the barbeque cook-off, so she and Stephanie's grandma set about trying to come up with the best sauce, and it takes several humorous attempts, and many explosions, to get it right! At the same time, Stephanie works with the oh-so-gorgeous Ranger (another bounty hunter, but a serious one, who has a little bit of a crush on her) in his security office, trying to crack a crime from the inside.

As part of the series, I wouldn't say this was the best one, but it still had some fantastic laugh-out-loud moments. Its almost like the Stephanie/Ranger story line was added just so Ranger could be in the story, it turns to be not so major afterall, a bit of a let-down. And there's not enough Morelli for me - he's her on-again-off-again boyfriend, who's always jealous of Ranger. These books come out about once a year, so its a shame I have to wait a year for the next one! Maybe i'll just have to start from the beginning of the series again :)

I'm still working on Pride & Predjudice too, i'm over 3/4 through, the language is just a little tricky to get my head around - I don't think I would have got this far if I hadn't seen the movie (the original Colin Firth one, which is way better than the new Kiera Knightly one) to know what the storyline was!



Knitting update:

I was off work sick for most of last week, so I had alot of knitting time! Unfortunately I still haven't unpacked my second skein of Artyarns Supermerino that i'm using for a beret so that project is still on hold, but I finished a puppy jumper and i'm halfway through a little baby beanie just to use up some of my stash. Photos will be coming soon I promise! I had a go at starting the Baby Surprise Jacket by EZ (will be my new lunchtime project) but got totally perplexed by the pattern so I ripped it out - if you've made it before and can give me some help, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know!!

~Happy knitting!~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent, I am always on the look out for great new books to read! You have to post pics of that puppy jumper! I have been meaning to whip some up for my wee doggie, but want to wait to use up some stash yarn.

xx

2BSewing: said...

I hope you are feeling better this week.

Wow! The book must be a great read if you finished it in one day. I'll have to check it out. I also enjoying reading outdoors. Okay, I enjoy being outdoors and enjoying wonderful weather.

Glad to hear that you were able to get some knitting done. As always, looking forward to your pics. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails