Friday, November 13, 2009

FO: Poppy hat

Have I mentioned recently how much I love Ravelry? No? I love Ravelry! I don't think I would be where I am with my knitting today without it. I love that you can do research before you start on a big project, have a nosey around a whole bunch of designers that you wouldn't otherwise know about, and save patterns as favourites in one place so you can find them again.

That is how I came across the Poppy hat. I'd seen someone's finished Riverstone sweater that i'd saved, and I was looking at the pattern's main page at some of the awesome FO pictures. I noticed that some of Just Jussi's other patterns were showing there too, and Poppy caught my eye. The next step in my Ravelry browsing is to have a look through the projects page to see how other people have made it. For this one I was just browsing for the sake of it, since it was a baby's hat. Then I saw this one. I thought, I must be able to make a me-sized one too then!

Poppy hat

I made the 12yo size, CO 30st with 7.5mm needles, and did 7 repeats rather than the 5 from the pattern. In hindsight I probably could have done with 6 repeats or a few less rows of ribbing, as its a little longer than I would like in the back, but other than that its PERFECT! I used Shepherd 100% Lambswool Felted yarn from my stash, which is great to work with. A fast and easy stash busting project - it used slightly less than one ball, and I started at 5.30pm and (with a dinner break in between) finished at 11pm! The construction is really clever - you start with the top section on straight needles, then pick up stitches and knit the ribbing down on circular needles, although back and forth because of the button flap.

Poppy hat

Of course, with my Twilight obsession, I had to use a Twilight button to finish it off :) I will be keeping my eye out for a nice flower to attach to the side though, to give it a bit more of a 'flapper' feel.

If you have a baby shower coming up, why not knit a matching pair for mum and bub!

Techniques I learned:
* provisional cast on
* short rows

I promise a modelled shot soon - i'm getting my hair done tomorrow so it will look much nicer after that.

For the comments - what feature do you love most about Ravelry?

~Happy knitting!~

3 comments:

2BSewing: said...

Beautiful hat! It's sooo unique! You picked a beautiful yarn and color. I imagine, once you got started...you couldn't put this project down. lol! Like you, I enjoy finding quick knitting projects. You did a fantastic job with this hat. :)

Rachel said...

I love that hat. The color of the yarn is so pretty!!! I couldn't live without ravelry either. I finally figured out short rows, but I am still afraid to try the provisional cast on. I will eventually, though.

Trina said...

Thanks for the compliments!
Rachel - I was a bit nervous too about the provisional cast on, just the name itself makes it sound challenging, but it was actually alot easier than I thought :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails