Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What's in a name?

I'm up to the 9th button hole on the Buttony sweater, but i've put it down for the moment, not only because i'm moving out of my flat this weekend (finally - that's another long story!), but because i'm also making up some new stuff. A friend of mine from work makes candles and quilts, and is going on a roadtrip tour around the North Island in July to try and sell them to different places - and she's asked if I want to make some knitted things to go with it! Of course I said yes :)

But that meant coming up with a name to sell under. You may remember a while ago I asked for suggestions, thinking that Monarch Knits sounded good to me, and you agreed. I changed my mind though, now that i'm sewing and wouldn't only be selling knitting, and decided on Monarch Creations. Unfortunately, my mum was in Melbourne last week and brought back a present - and its brand was Monarch Creations! So there went that idea. We were pondering changing it to MonArk Creations, or something similar - mum's obsessed with Noah's Ark - but that still didn't sit right with me. I decided that I don't really like the look of monarch butterflies anyway - orange isn't my colour, I prefer blue.

So I googled 'butterfly species' and it came up with a couple of suggestions - I was going to go with Ulysses, because I love their colour. That was until I came across the Summer Azure Butterfly. The original picture I saw showed them in an even-more-gorgeous pale blue colour, so that settled it. THEN I saw the genus name for them - Celastrina neglecta. See that? CelasTRINA. That's me! (Ok, its pronounced 'sell-us-TRY-nah', but still!) And so a store name was born. All it took then was an email to my clever sister, who came up with this logo for me*, to which I added my own image:

"Ok, who did you have to bribe to get a butterfly named after you!!"
- Mum

I'm glad its all coming together. Now all I have to do is start making stuff to sell! I have a few ideas, but it will mean that things will probably be quiet on here until I have it all done. But don't worry, you'll be the first to know when things are up and running!

~Happy Knitting!~

*she also noted that the font used for Celastrina is 'Edwardian' - to fit my Twilight obsession!!

6 comments:

Sarah, The New Girl said...

nice job!! Your sisters logo looks great as well!! Way to think through that, I'm so bad at making decisions of that nature. Love the end result :)

2BSewing: said...

Trina...your logo is perfect and so is the name! Wow! Amazing how things come together. You have been truly blessed. I am so happy for you. :)

Glad to hear you are still making progress on your Buttony. :)

Moving, again?

Karen said...

Oh this is so exciting!!! And I think the way the name fell into place is a very good omen for your budding business. :)

Rachel said...

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. THe sweater pattern I am going to use is St. James. Here is a link to it:
http://www.metapostmodernknitting.com/MetaPatterns/StJames/tabid/86/Default.aspx

Jasmine's Mommy said...

Great logo! Good luck on your move :)

RedCurlGirl said...

i'm so jealous. my mom's been trying to teach me to knit for a year and i'm pretty sure i'm all thumbs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails